Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

"Right and wrong - Joy and despair - Good and evil. These are the themes Robert Louis Stevenson addresses in his work, 'The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.' " I guess the point that I am trying to make is that there is a stark contrast to the side of me that most of you are familiar with. For those of you who think you know me, you may be mistaken!

Over the past three years a daring and unforeseen side of Sandy Seely has emerged. It all began a few years after becoming an “empty nester.” I had a significant void in my life that I just could not fill. After contemplating my dilemma, I discovered that in order to alleviate this problem I basically had three options to consider: become miserable in spirit, have more children and re-fill the nest, or branch out into the unknown world of "my man." I decided that it might be wisest to choose the last option and attempt to become involved in the things that interest my husband. Being “such a girl” was going to make this feat quite a challenge!

My first attempt at entering the male world was when I put my hate for cold weather aside and joined the "Northland Snowmobilers’ Club" (my name for the men who consistently rode through the trails of WI -- Dr. Patz, Dr. Fox, Kelly Curell, Chuck Richards, and my husband). I felt a bit odd at first when I was the only woman rider. However, once I put my fluorescent green and black jacket along with that over-sized helmet on, then all my inhibitions suddenly disappeared. My confidence in mastering this “machine” grew to the point that I felt like I could conquer the world . . . or at least the trails leading from my house to Richard’s Super Club in Dunbar. I must admit that I found it hard replacing the fragrance of Jovan musk perfume with the smell of engine fumes.

The game of football became my next interest. Dan developed his own version of “football picks” which became very addicting to me and actually grew over the past two years to include not only Don, Dan, and Karis, but also my mom, Tim, Kristen and James. In order to keep up with the guys, I had to do lots of homework which included me developing and studying my own charts. It was a huge challenge for me to learn so much about so many players when I wasn’t even sure how to even play the game. I learned quickly and soon found myself listening in on the sports conversations that the men discussed at the lunch table; periodically I would even join in by contributing a stat or two.

However, none of these conquests top the rush one feels when they are decked out in blaze orange! Yes, you read correctly, I took up the sport of hunting this past November! Many thanks go to my husband & Dan who patiently worked with me at the shooting range and who encouraged me in this endeavor. Once I knew that I could at least hit "the kill zone" (sorry, ladies!), then I became more excited and waited with building anticipation for "opening day." Thanksgiving morning, just 4 hours before company arrived, my opportunity came. I will spare the details; but guys, it was a blast (no pun intended)! For you ladies, I can assure you that Bambi’s mother did not suffer! At first, I must admit that I did feel bad (that was the female side of me); however, the "conquering" feeling soon dominated and I must confess that I became pretty pumped. I am now anxiously waiting for hunting season this November to roll around as I will once again hunt with my husband and this time our son, Dan, will join us!

In closing I must add that unlike Stevenson’s novel, Mr. Hyde has not completely taken over the Dr. Jekyll side of me. I allow that mysterious side to surface only when my husband is looking for "male bonding" times.

Maybe you should do some exploring in areas that are totally foreign to you. Who knows, you might find that there is a "Mr. Hyde” hidden inside you?


13 comments:

Daniel said...

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? I think the rest of the world would call this a mid-life crisis. :D Hey, I think it's great that you're getting in on the fun with the guys. I'm really looking forward to hunting season too! Do me a favor, though, will you? Try not to show me up this hunting season like you did the last two seasons in the football picks, okay Sandy Oakley?

Karis said...

I think it's great that you're branching out to do things that Dad enjoys doing! So, what's next? Golf?

Good job on the slideshow!

Tim, Kristen , Megan, Emily, and Anna said...

Mrs. Seely,

That is great that you are trying things out that your husband does. Yeah, and as far as the football picks, I think you have beaten me every year. You are truly amazing!!

David and Kristi Flinck said...

Welcome to the blogsphere!
Looking forward to keeping in touch via our blogs.
David & Kristi Flinck

S said...

great post! i never knew how you came about getting involved in all those things- so thanks for the 'background'. i think it's great that you're able to do those things together. stephen loves to run as you know. i keep trying to get into it, but haven't been able to get there yet....but someday.

Sarah J. Evans said...

lol you look like a VERY refined version of granny from Beverly Hill Billies with your shotgun... lol :)

You know for some more fun you could go hang out in the girls dorm rooms--we're proper in public, but it's a whole different ball game in our rooms. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed!! I'm not sure I'm quite ready to take up Ben's newest hobby, at least not to the extent he has!! He and his dad just finished bicycling from FL to WA state. You can check his blog at bajahyink.blogspot.com for all the details. We miss you guys! Good luck during hunting season. :-) Abby Hyink

Anonymous said...

Now that you've conquered snowmobiling, football :), and hunting, the next step is POWERTOOLS! :)

Tricia Brown said...

This is priceless! I know you've taught me everything I need to know about life up to now but I never imagined it would include BLAZE ORANGE! Do you think it will go with my skin tone?

Seriously, I respect you even more than I already did. You've set the bar high for us younger wives. We'll be chatting about these subjects in fifteen or twenty years!

Anonymous said...

Now I know why my husband kept wanting me to read your blog (we got connected through Dan and Karis's blog). :) It might take me a few years to get to the hunting stage.

Kristin Igel

Anonymous said...

you are amazing.

Becky Gravley said...

mrs. seely,
what happened to you??? we're dying to see another post from the new grandmother. how about krista joy seely as the subject? =)

Cari Mohler said...

Ok, I just came across your blog and I LOVED this post!!! I laughed...and I also can see that someday I too will have to do these things to enter Jason male world! Yikes! I am not looking forward to being an empty nester!! At least I have a while...then again, maybe I should enter his world a bit sooner...he just might like that...who knows, maybe I will too??? Hmmm...not so sure about that!
This all makes sense to me now though! I thought I had overheard you talking hunting to someone! :) So, are you getting really pumped? Isn't it this weekend?! Good luck!