Saturday, July 28, 2007

"Charting" for the First Time

Whenever a nurse writes in a patient's medical record or file, that nurse will refer to this action as "charting." Charting is actually documenting a chronological written account of a patient's examination and treatment plan that includes the patient's medical history and complaints, the physician's and nurse's physical findings, the results of diagnostic tests and procedures, and medications and therapeutic procedures that have been given or done to this patient.


Being a nurse and thinking along these lines, I decided to do my best to "chart" my personal medical record for you. Every medical file begins with what we call a "history"--what prompted the person to seek medical attention. Therefore I must begin my first blog with a "history" of what prompted me to get involved in blogging.

Approximately two months ago, I entered the scary world of Face book! Whoa, now that was a huge step for me to undertake! After repeatedly mocking it and those who participated in it, I had to swallow my pride and admit to the benefits of entering into this "new world" of technology. Little did I know that this was the first step on my way to learning new and modern ways of enjoying communication.

My next venture in this “modern world” took place yesterday when I received an iPod for my birthday. I must admit that I was overwhelmed with excitement even though I do not know one thing about it or how to use it. (Help!) Thanks, Don, for being the springboard that is launching me into another realm of the "unknown."

One of the highlights of my birthday came when I received phone calls and homemade cards from my grandchildren in Sturgeon Bay as well as an e-mail video clip from my granddaughter, Kayla, who sang "Happy Birthday" to me. Between my laughing and my tears (after watching the video), I came to the conclusion that I needed to take the plunge into the world of blogging so that I can "chart" and share with others what is so important to me--my family. So here I go— venturing into this new encounter at the age of 51. (Some my age may refer to this as a “mid-life crisis”, but I would like to think that I am technologically “hip”) I hope you enjoy this clip as much as I do.




Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting

12 comments:

Dan said...

Wow, what a hip Mom! Good job on breaking into the world of blogging. I'm sure that since you have your own FaceBook group, you'll have many loyal blog readers. I'm even going to have to post about you and your new blogging venture. Welcome to the 21st century!!

Karis said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! You're more with the times than me as I signed up for Facebook months ago but have never taken the time to do anything with it. We'll enjoy your blogs now but even more when we're in Africa!

Tim, Kristen , Megan, Emily, and Anna said...

Mrs. Seely,

That is so precious. I watched Kayla a couple of times. She is such a good singer!!! I guess she was getting ready for her upcoming birthday say dear Kayla!! You have a wonderful grandchild!! I get to keep her next week a day or two. I am so excited!! That is great that you are entering the blogging world. I am glad that Tim and I are "patients"!!! That is so cute that way you set up your blog. I will be checking it!!

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday Sandy! I'm excited to be able to read your blog and keep up with your family this way.

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday Mrs. Seely! Your blog is very nice; it is a great way to keep in touch with friends and most importantly family! Thank you for all you did to help me after the car accident you are a wonderful nurse!!
God bless!
Kristin (Smith) White

Becky Gravley said...

I literally was your patient a couple of times -- "Could I get some more sudafed?" Welcome to the blogosphere. Your family truly is a blessing!! By the way, I'm not sure Dan has informed you, but our Samuel is your Kayla's future husband. Thought you should know . . . That is, of course, if you approve. (At this point, I'm not sure that I would approve of Sam marrying my daughter!!)

Becky Gravley said...

hi, mrs. seely!! i absolutely LOVE this clip of kayla. i can definitely see why you were laughing AND crying. i often think about leaving our famiies to go to the missionfield and what an exciting yet sad day that will be. i think it would be very hard to be the mom and the grammy and let your children and grandchildren go. it's a great example to us that you would be willing; maybe someday the Lord will ask this of us! and, by the way, I certainly don't know how to put VIDEO on my blog...you really are a techie! =)
love,
becky gravley

S said...

Yeah! Welcome to the blogosphere. I'll have to let my mom know Mrs. Seely started one so now she needs too! She'd have lots to blog about believe me. I'll be happy if she just gets on facebook! :)

I can't wait to hear all the happenings of your nurse's notes! :))

The Horaks said...

I just happened to link over to your blog through a couple other random links today. I'm so impressed you actually have a blog! ;) Kayla was so adorable on the video...I loved when she started blowing kisses to you! How cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Well Sandora, you officially plugged into the Web 2.0 world! With an iPod to boot! Now, just go get yourself an iPhone, an iTunes gift card, a Blackberry, start using Open Office and set your house up with a wireless network and you'll be....well, pretty geeky!!

By the way, do have any pictures of your brother on your Blog or in Facebook? I hear he is quite good looking!!

All my love.

P.S. Mom like's me best!!

Don & Katrina Hines said...

Welcome Aboard Mrs. Seely!

You are so right - I totally think you are "hip" and I think you are an inspiration to all mothers and grandmothers everywhere of not to be afraid of the new technology!

And I still don't know how to download videos to the blog! You'll have to teach us a thing or two!

Also, please pass on a message from Don to Mr. Seely - he says hello!

Once again, Welcome to the Blog-o-sphere!

Anonymous said...

I get to leave a comment finally....yeah! This video is the cutest ever. She is so precious.